Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

NEW CAR SMELL


Alma 26:12 Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things; yea, behold, many mighty miracles we have wrought in this land, for which we will praise his name forever.
My husband and I have been car shopping, and it’s a brave new world since we last bought a new car about 13 years ago. I have been driving that 1998 Rodeo, precariously up and down the beltway. Lately she has been having some serious problems; flat tires at work, massive oil spills, exhaust needs replacing, no air conditioner (for at least 5 years), the sun visors fell off and I have felt like I have been traveling across the surface of Mars. But the Lord has been good, and I daresay has a sense of humor where his children are concerned. The Rodeo has set a deadline for me; it’s time for Emissions and registration renewal. I was impressed to delay the emissions for a third and last time, but times up. So we have been praying for a new car. It doesn’t matter Lord what kind it is, or make or model, but we do require air conditioning, sun visors and a radio that plays. So after this prayer, days go by, turning to months and I remember asking: “Lord where is the car? It’s getting late, and the Bus Man is waiting for me to Ride On soon”.

The Lord is good and his mercy endures forever.
I was impressed to write these instructions from Him:
1 Exercise a measure of Faith
Alma 32: 27 But behold, if ye will awake and arouse your faculties, even to an experiment upon my words, and exercise a particle of faith, yea, even if ye can no more than desire to believe, let this desire work in you, even until ye believe in a manner that ye can give place for a portion of my words.
2 Organize yourself and prepare for every needful thing.
Doctrine and Covenants 88: 119 organize yourselves; prepare every needful thing; and establish a house, even a house of prayer, a house of fasting, a house of faith, a house of learning, a house of glory, a house of order, a house of God
3 Press toward the mark; don’t give up
Philippians 3: 13 Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, 
14 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.
4. Go get your blessing!!!
I thought, wow, this is deep, this could really happen. I know most people can just go out and buy something, maybe a car, or a house or a trip to Paris. I am sure I could too, but I tend to drag my feet and not trust in God enough, not believe in myself enough.
So my husband and I went on a go-see. My husband exhibited great restraint and patience with me, God bless him. We bravely walked into a Nissan dealer ship and walked out with a new car. We are still in a daze.
I know this is irreverent, but this song by the late Janis Joplin has been playing in my head for a while:
Mercedes Benz
Oh Lord, won’t you buy me a Mercedes Benz?
My friends all drive Porsche's, I must make amends
Worked hard all my lifetime, no help from my friends
So Lord, won’t you buy me a Mercedes Benz?
The effectual and fervent prayer of a righteous man; availeth much.     

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...