Powered By Blogger

Monday, January 9, 2012

Is it possible to improve yourself in 30 Days?


My boss sent me an email with a list of ways to "improve" myself or my job performance. The list is impressive and thought provoking. None of that stuff about organizing your check book or purse or whatever. But I do have an idea for keeping the contents of one's purse under control. I change purses at least twice every week, and if I am not careful, I usually end up taking 2 bags to work. I am going to make a" hard" list of everything that must go into the purse and should not come out, such as keys, wallets, etc. The "soft list" is all of the stuff like tissues, Chap Stick, pens, etc., that can be duplicated from purse to purse. The soft list items will stay in each purse and the hard list items will move. I digress.

So there are about 22 days left in January, I chose this one:

  • Get rid of one thing a day for 30 days. – We have so much clutter surrounding us at any given moment (at the office, in our cars, in our homes) and we have become so accustomed to it that we no longer notice how it affects us. If you start cleaning up some of this external clutter, a lot of internal clutter will disappear as well. Choose one needless item each and every day and get rid of it. It's that simple. It might be difficult at first, so expect some resistance. But after some time you will begin to learn to let go of your packrat tendencies and your mind will thank you for your efforts.
Do you think this suggestion includes items in bulk? Like 30 bags of used clothing? How about a small hoard of craft items, books and a stash of cute, but impractical shoes that will never fit (no matter how much weight I lose?) How easy is this? I have already raided my walk-in closet which should be called "stumbled in". I know that my behavior will improve during this venture. I think that I may be able to appreciate the things I have and use them and not waste time and money on impractical ideals, like cute but ill-fitting shoes. I'll keep you posted.

2 comments:

Becca said...

I love getting rid of things.

My husband and I get into it a little bit over that. :) I have to be careful not to get rid of things he wants!

I clean out my closet (go through each piece of clothing by hand) at least 4-5 times a year - it needs to be done again soon.

Good luck! :)

Ramona Gordy said...

Hey Becca!!!
Happy New Year.
You know tossing out my stuff was not as easy as it sounded, Seems like for every piece I had to "discuss it", Finally I just closed my eyes and tossed away. I think I had 7 to 8 bags and a box of craft magazines that I hoarded for 10 years.
There are 30 challenges on that list and some are quite spiritual.
More to come

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...